Roman copy of Greek sculpture by Miron (so-called “Townley’s Discobolus”). Marble. Inv. No. GR 1805.7-3.43 (Sculpture 250).
London, The British Museum
Was discovered at Hadrian’s Villa in 1790, and was purchased by the English antiquary and art dealer established in Rome, Thomas Jenkins, at public auction in 1792. The English connoisseur Charles Towneley paid him 400 for the statue, which arrived at the semi-public gallery Townley commissioned in Park Street, London, in 1794. The heads were wrongly restored, as Richard Payne Knight pointed out, but Townley was convinced his was the original and better copy. It was bought for the British Museum, with the rest of Townley’s marbles, in July 1805