Frontal panel of a sarcophagus with scenes of lions hunting.

Marble. 220—270 CE.

Spoleto, Piazza del Duomo

Origin:
From palazzo Campello. Donated to the Duomo by Contessa Guglielmina Campello in 1954 on occasion of repavement of piazza del Duomo. Mounted in the right wall of the piazza at the suggestion of archbishop Raffaele Mario Radossi.
Description:
In the past the sarcophagus served as a fountain basin. The rectangular hole made through the lion’s figure was a water drain.
Credits:
© 2010. Photo: Ilya Shurygin.

comment

comment

comment
Keywords: marble sarcophagus sarkophag sarcofago with scenes of lions hunting hunt for lion Spoleto piazza del Duomo sarcofago con caccia al leone
History of Ancient Rome