The body is a copy of a Hellenistic statue type which was often employed for making portrait statues of distinguished Roman women during the times of the Empire. The Roman copy, with the portrait, has been executed during the time of Emperor Hadrian, in the beginning of the second century. The facial portrait has been altered during the reworking, in the fourth century. In the form of letters from the fourth century, the plinth bears the inscription:
ΤΗΝ ΠΙΝΥΤΗΝ ΕΚΥΡΗΝ ΕΥΒΟΥΛΙΟΝ ΙCΑΤΟ ΓΑΜΒΡΟC
“Of his intelligent mother-in-law, Eubulion, the son-in-law(,) erected this statue.” Whether the name of the mother-in-law or the name of the son-in-law is Eubulion is not completely clear in the sequence of the Greek words.
Statue. White marble with light, yellowish brown patina.
H. 1.80 m. (without plinth).
The head has been broken off and has been re-affixed. The tip of the nose has broken off and is missing, as is the right hand. The head and the hair over the brow have been recarved; the surfaces of both ears are original. In front of the right ear, remnants of an original lock of hair which hung down are extant. The technical execution of the face stands in sharp contrast to the body’s smoothed out forms.
F. Poulsen 1951, Cat. 552; V. Poulsen 1974, Cat. 211; H. J. Kruse, Römische Weibliche Gewandstatuen des zweiten Jahrhunderts n. Chr. (1968) 241 f, A15; H. Wrede, Consecratio in Forum Deorum (1981) no. 75, 218 ff, Taf. 8, 2.