Statuette of the “Good Shepherd.” Fragmentary relief from the front of a sarcophagus, reworked in full relief.

End of the 3rd — beginning of the 4th cent. CE.
Extensive restoration by Giuseppe Angelini, 1764.
Inv. No. 28590 (ex 103).

Rome, Vatican Museums, Pio-Christian Museum
(Musei Vaticani, Museo Pio Cristiano)

Origin:
Unknown; then in the Mariotti’s collection (?); then in the Christian Museum of Benedict XIV (restoration by G. Angelini, 1764); since 1854 in the Pio Christian Museum.
Description:
Shepherd with an Apollinean face, carrying a sheep on his shoulders and a knapsack on his side, mostly integrated (the lower part beginning from the tunic border, the two arms and, on the back, along an evident vertical cut, part of the sheep and the shepherd’s body).

Hypothetical reconstruction of the position of the “Good Shepherd” on the front of a sarcophagus.
Credits:
THE GALLERY OF ANCIENT ART
Keywords: marble relief christian sarcophagus sarkophag sarcofago Statuette of the Good Shepherd statuetta Buon Pastore herder herdsman sheep knapsack bag tunic Giuseppe Angelini Mariotti collection Inv No 28590 ex 103
HISTORY OF ANCIENT ROME