Statuette of the “Good Shepherd”. Fragmentary relief from the front of a sarcophagus, reworked in full relief.
End of the 3rd — beginning of the 4th cent. CE.
Extensive restoration by Giuseppe Angelini, 1764.
Inv. No. 28590 (ex 103).Rome, Vatican Museums, Pius Christian MuseumPhoto by Sergey Sosnovskiy

Statuette of the “Good Shepherd”. Fragmentary relief from the front of a sarcophagus, reworked in full relief.

End of the 3rd — beginning of the 4th cent. CE.
Extensive restoration by Giuseppe Angelini, 1764.
Inv. No. 28590 (ex 103).

Rome, Vatican Museums, Pius Christian Museum
(Roma, Musei Vaticani, Museo Pio Cristiano)

Origin:
Unknown; then in the Mariotti’s collection (?); then in the Christian Museum of Benedict XIV (restoration by G. Angelini, 1764); since 1854 in the Pio Christian Museum.
Credits:
Keywords: σύγχρονη γλυπτική sculptura modern sculpture scultura moderna moderne skulptur γλυπτική sculptural ρωμαϊκό roman romana romano romani römisch römische römisches römischen römischer romain romaine romains romaines κηδεία funeral funerary funeraria funerario begräbnisskulptur beerdigung funéraire σαρκοφάγος σαρκοφάγους sarcophagus sarcophagi sarcofago sarcofagi sarkophag sarkophage sarcophage sarcophages early christian paleocristiani frühchristlicher frühchristliche paléochrétien ανακούφιση relief rilievo marble statuette of the good shepherd statuetta buon pastore herder herdsman sheep knapsack bag tunic giuseppe angelini mariotti collection inv no 28590 ex 103