The Apollo Belvedere, originally in the church of St Peter in Chains, Julius’ titular church when he was a cardinal, has been in its present site since 1509. It is a 2nd-century AD Roman copy of a 4th-century BC bronze original attributed to the sculptor Leochares. It shows the naked god in steady pose and armed with a bow, emblem and tool of his avenging power. The statue’s forearms and arms were added in 1532 by Giovanni Angelo da Montorsoli. They were removed in 1924 and put back in 1999. The work was considered a Greek original until the end of the 18th century when the Parthenon reliefs were found and it was identified as a Roman copy, reducing its renown though not its charm. The great purity and nobility of the gods is represented in this form of mysterious lightness where avenging power becomes a painless act, an expression of splendour, a play of style. The great fascination of the Apollo Belvedere has, touched distant intellectual horizons, inserting itself into apparently remote areas of art: consider the metaphysical nature of Giorgio De Chirico’s Chant d ’amour, where the head of Apollo appears beside a kitchen glove.
Keywords: γλυπτική sculptura sculpture sculptural scultura skulptur ρώμη rome roma rom ρωμαϊκό αντίγραφο roman copy copia romana römische kopie copie romaine ελληνική μυθολογία mythologia graeca greek mythology mitologia greca griechische mythologie grecque ἄγαλμα άγαλμα statua statuae statue statues statui statuen statuons θεός ἀπόλλων απόλλων apollon deus apollo phoebus god dio apollo febo gott apoll dieu marble statue of apollo belvedere phoebus by the sculptor leochares bow quiver apo 2