The triumph of Marcus Aurelius. Relief panel from a triumphal arch (presumably).Marble. 177—180 CE. Rome, Capitoline Museums, Palazzo dei Conservatori Photo by Ilya Shurygin
Marble. 177—180 CE.
Rome, Capitoline Museums, Palazzo dei Conservatori
(Musei capitolini, Palazzo dei Conservatori)
Presumably initially the relief served as a decoration of the Arch of Marcus Aurelius at Forum Romanum. In the 6th century the reliefs were walled in the walls of the church S. Martina built in the Roman Forum upon the ruins of the Secretarium Senatus. The reliefs were brought to the Palazzo dei Conservatori in 1515 upon orders of Pope Leo X and initially walled in the wall of the courtyard. In 1572, they were moved to their current location in the wall of the staircase of the palace.